Over Flanders Field

RAF28 Waldo P

Over Flanders Field

Post by RAF28 Waldo P »

Salute All

Well I couldn't wait any longer so I ordered Over Flanders Field then went on E-bay and picked up a copy of Combat Flight Sim 3 for another $12. I was in need of a new Pup :) I will finaly get to use this gamming puter i got 2 1/2 years ago. What was said in wings of Valor and the fact that there is a multi play, all be it only 16 player. Silly Me :)

Waldo!!
RAF28 Waldo P

Re: Over Flanders Field

Post by RAF28 Waldo P »

I got both the CFS3 and the OFF cd's tuesday. I have it loaded and i'm in the process of teaching myself how to fly in it. It uses the CFS3 controls so there will be many to get set right. I haven't tryed setting up the joystick yet just getting used to the way it flys. It looks great but the CFS engine might be a bit clunky. Once i learn how to set up a online game that should help. It will be really great to get in a 1 v 1 thats not computer made.

Waldo!!
US95Pickett

Post by US95Pickett »

S! all, Waldo, let us know about OFF3. I was very hesitant about buying it at $50 plus s&h when it was just a WW1 mod for Combat Flight Simulator 3, which had terrible player ratings (CFS3 and it's in game flight engine rated very poorly). There's some patches for Combat Flight Simulator 3:
http://www.microsoft.com/games/combatfs3/downloads.aspx
Do you have to install the CFS3 patches before you install OFF3, or are the CFS3 patches not needed for OFF3 ?
US95Pickett
RAF28 Waldo P

Post by RAF28 Waldo P »

Salute Pickett All

I didn't have to patch CFS3 but that depends on which version of CFS3 you get. When you install OFF it will tell you if your version of CFS3 needs patched. There is a patch for OFF and its easy to get and install.(I did have to download a newer version of Winzip to unzip it with) It took me awhile to get the screen set in the game but once i did it looks really great and runs easy on my 3 year old gaming puter. I haven't got Track IR and won't unless ROF gets out but im getting that old feeling that it might not make it out. The date keeps getting put back with it.

When you first run OFF after its installed You will get a white box that says CFS3 config at the top, of this box open the file link and set your screen res. Once thats done it will play without problem. I missed this and my video card wouldn't play it at 420-600, It crashed. It was easy to set once i read the read-me file. You can get to it from the workshop page if you miss it the first time you run the game.

Because of all the different things you set on a WW2 aircraft , in time i'll have to set trims and gas mixtures as well as views for the joystick. I find myself not liking the CFS3 part of it all that much, but the OFF part is real good. It works better than I expected.

Waldo!!
bletchley

Post by bletchley »

Hello Waldo/Pickett,

I have got OFF3 now as well (cost me almost £50 here in England, with tax, a hefty postage, and poor exchange rate), and it is a big improvement on OFF2. The SP campaign is much better than it was (it is reminiscent of RB now, but I think still not quite as good), but the flight/damage models still appear to be something of a 'work in progress' (but also improving, I think). It needs a good modern computer to get all the visual stuff - I am now running an AMD Athlon 64 3400+, 128 mb ATI 9800 Pro AGP, 1 mb RAM, Win XP SP3, and I can only get smooth game play with object density on low and all sliders but aircraft on '1' or '2'. The same computer runs RB3D, even fully patched with WFP2 etc., very well in comparison. I don't think it is very good for multiplayer use online, although a few people seem to have got something up and running - I get the impression that it will not support many players at one time, leading to co-op multiplayer missions against AI. Also, I don't use CF3 at all - I just got it to be able to run OFF (you need a CF3 disc in the drive when you launch OFF). I have got TIR, and it makes a big difference (I use it in RB as well, though not online).

Bletchley
US95Pickett

Post by US95Pickett »

S! all, Bletchley and Waldo, how's it going with your OFF3 installs? Have you tried MP and if so, how is it playing for you? How have the FPS been? I've seen some post at the OFF forum about FPS problems. Just curious as to how your experience have been with OFF3 now that you've had some time to play it.
US95Pickett
bletchley

Post by bletchley »

S! Pickett,

OFF install goes very well - there have been hardly any problems with install reported. Went very smoothly for me. Updates and fixes are being posted almost daily, and each one entirely updates the previous versions (so no need to worry about cumulative patching, or getting patches in the right order - just patch with the latest).

There has been a big FPS improvement over Phase 2 - this is mostly because the scaleability has been made more scaleable, so those with older PCs can now back off the graphics further to get smooth game-play. I get very reasonable FPS now, but only by backing my graphics right back. Even then it looks good, just not much ground detail or texture, and objects reduced to the essentials. Campaign play is a big improvement over Phase 2 - getting more and more like RB3D.

I havn't played multi-player. Some people are, but in co-op style against AI enemy. I don't think it supports many aircraft or players at one time, and I believe it is a bit buggy. Most people seem to be waiting for RoF, which promises to be better for multi-play.

Not doing so well financially, I gather - not met the expectations of the developers, so this may limit the development of it (more aircraft, in particular, although the current batch is adequate).

Bletchley

Bletchley
RAF28 Waldo P

Post by RAF28 Waldo P »

My time flying OFF has been limited, Im still working on my situational awareness. My computer plays it with all the setting on high. It really looks good and doesn't seem to have any bugs in single play mode. I've not tryed it in multiplay yet. You need to have other people set up and ready to play with the same setting as you have, IP and the like. I don't like the way i have to track aircraft in a dogfight much, You either use the cone pointer from CFS3 that tracks the target plane or you try to just use the hatpan. Im swapping in a few different commands to my joystick trying to find a better way. It might be a good Idea if those of us playing OFF post the different joystick setups that have helped or keystrokes. I know Bletchley is using Track IR. Let us know it that solves this problem.

Waldo!!
bletchley

Post by bletchley »

TrackIR is very good - I found it very easy to get used to, it becomes just like looking around (except when I I am looking over my shoulder in-sim, when I am looking slightly sideways in reality, but this is adjustable to suit individual taste). I no longer use the hat switch for looking around - so I can map it to other commands. I don't use any of the 'aids' either (no padlock, no targetting cone, no radar, labels, etc.), I just keep it very 'natural'. You need to use the rudder a lot - so a twisty stick or pedals is also very useful (I use a twisty stick, but I am now thinking of getting Saitek pedals). I havn't tried multi-player, as it sounds very buggy - nothing has been done with the original CFS3 code for this yet.

I have my stick commands set up mostly for engine management - mixture control and magneto on/off. Not much else at the moment, other than F12 to re-centre the TrackIR. Still working on it :)

Bletchley

Return to “General Forum”