The Annoying Lead Butt Camel

Post your help requests and suggestions here.
US95 Odee

The Annoying Lead Butt Camel

Post by US95 Odee »

>S< Mules!

Has anyone experienced a decidedly tail heavy flight characteristics of the Camel in game? I am having to use constant forward pressure on the stick in order to keep from stalling out, as once airborne, the nose constantly wants to rise on its own.
:mad2:
Have tried a couple different pitch settings in game, to no avail, so if anyone has a cure for this, I'm sure it would be appreciated being passed on to the rest of us.
US95 Odee
Live to fly, Fly to fight, Fight to live! ~ Life's a vicious circle

RAF28 Waldo P

Re: The Annoying Lead Butt Camel

Post by RAF28 Waldo P »

Salute Odee

I've got my responces set so that the camel flys near level with hands off the stick. Its still a handfull to fly in a dogfight but its much easer to fly than the stock settings. Each computer will need a few tweeks to the pilots liking

Waldo!!
US95 Odee

Post by US95 Odee »

>S< Waldo!

Thanks so much for the help in tweaking that Camel today. Now that I know what to look for on the settings, I can weak the other planes for optimal flight.

Cheers
US95 Odee

Lexx2

Post by Lexx2 »

S!

Any chance of you sharing what you tweaked?

Lexx
RAF28 Waldo P

Post by RAF28 Waldo P »

Salute Lexx2
I'll be happy to show you how to set your responces up to make the camel easer to fly. Catch me flying and i'll walk you through how to set them. That will be far easer to follow, than trying to type it out here.

Waldo!!
US95 Odee

Post by US95 Odee »

S! Mules

I went to the options/responses page in game. You'll see a large grid box on the right, control selection on the left and below that a smaller box (the use of which boggles my mind so ignore the small one other than to make sure your rudder is working)
[*] Select PITCH in the left hand side bar
[*] Then in the large box, drag the center dot down to about 11% (should read 0% - 11%)
[*] Save as Camel
[*] Exit and test.
[*] Adjust as needed.

You can do the same for any other adverse flight dynamics such as Yaw (rudder), and Roll (Aileron)

WARNING!: Make sure you have selected the new profile you selected, before heading off into the wild blue, by going into Options, and looking at the top right screen to see what profile name is current.
:wink2:
US95 Odee

Lexx2

Post by Lexx2 »

S!

I'll try that tonight Odee. Thanks.
And I'll look out for you Waldo.

Lexx
US95 Odee

Post by US95 Odee »

S! Mules :cool2:

No problems Lexx, hope it works out. I still have some minor tweaking to do on it myself, but at least my wrist isn't looking like Arnold's thighs any more.
:lol:

Cheers
US95 Odee

US95Zardo

Post by US95Zardo »

Salute Yal! Frankly, I have not changed the settings in my Camel profile because even though I have a hard time adjusting to full real, I have been able to master the Camel as is. I think that if that was the way the Camel flew in reality, then I should master it as is. I don't know if having a force feedback stick has anything to do with my flying, but the feel of the stick lets me know if I'm getting in trouble with my manouvers, by the way it trembles or waddle depending on how I handle the plane. I know that reducing the amout of fuel and by deselecting my bombs, I am able to fly the Camel fairly well.
Histiricly speaking, The Camel has killed trainies by the ratio of two pilots in training vs. the number of planes shot down by the pilots who were able to master the plane. Twice as many training pilots vs. total Camel kills in the sky. WOW! :mad2:
Zardo.
US95 Odee

Post by US95 Odee »

S! All,

Historical note; Was talking with a Flying Circus bud of mine the other week, who flies Stearmans and flew one of the last original Dr.1s before the owner crashed and burned in it, and he says nearly all the early aircraft had 'turnbuckles' that the ground crew would use to adjust trim of a particular plane. This was done on the ground, of course, and with the pilots input on control locations at cruise speeds, to lessen the workload of the pilot.

I believe that this is emulated in the way we can adjust control responses in the game, and it's done very well.
US95 Odee

US95Zardo

Post by US95Zardo »

One of the reasons that the Camel was so tail heavy is because all the weight of the plane was in the center'
The fuel tank was heavy when full and was behind the pilots seat. The pivot point of the plane is the drivers seat. It wasn't til the plane had burned most of the fuel that the plane was more stable in the forward push of the controls, making it easier to fly.
That is why I use as little fuel as possible at takeoff.
See if that works for you when you fly the Camel. Let me know. :wink2:
If you notice that the Camel is difficult to manouver, you have too much weight behind you.
Lighten it up by losing unnecessary fuel

Return to “Help and Suggestions”